5 Tips for Healthy Eyes
May 15, 2018BlogEye Health
In addition to regular eye check ups, there are specific steps you can take every day to help guard your eyes against disease and keep them healthy. A proper diet, not smoking, proper eye care, and limiting computer time are all ways you can keep your eyes in check.
- Eating well: Start they day off by not only nourishing your body, but helping your eyes as well. Fill your plate with nutrients like lutein, zinc, vitamins C and E, and omega-3 fatty acids. When you visit the grocery store, look for the following foods: salmon, tuna, citrus fruits, oysters, pork, eggs, nuts, beans, kale, spinach, and other green leafy vegetables.
- Stop smoking: Smoking makes you more susceptible to developing cataracts, hurting your optic nerve, and macular degeneration. If you’ve already attempted to quit smoking, try again! Ask your doctor for help and the best resources to help you put a halt to this unhealthy habit. You can do it!
- Wear your sunglasses: Whenever you leave the house, grab your sunglasses. The correct pair of sunglasses can help shield your eyes from harmful ultra violet (UV) rays. If you go overboard on the UV exposure, you will increase your chance of getting cataracts or macular degeneration.
- Use eyewear protection: If you have an occupation that exposes you to hazardous materials or airborne objects, protective goggles or safety glasses are a must. If you play sports like ice hockey and racquetball be sure you have the right protective eye wear as well.
- Take a rest from the computer: With technological advancements, U.S. adults (and kids) spend an increasing amount of time in front of screens. Staring at the computer for too long can contribute to eyestrain, blurred vision, headaches, dry eyes, neck pain, and shoulder pain. To protect your eyes try looking away from the screen every now and then and blink a few times. Also, try using an anti-glare screen.
Arrange a consultation
Remember, one of the best ways to maintain eye health is to schedule regular eye exams. Call now to schedule your next appointment with The Eye Associates. You can contact our office at (Meridian) 208-342-5151 or (Caldwell) 208-459-0717.